RE: AMBER: ADDIONS do not neutralize to ZERO

From: Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:41:43 -0800 (PST)

> How can I neutralize the charge on my ligand which is not integral (it
> is: 0.999960)? As you mentioned that Leap adds ions with integral
> charge and thus the solute must have integral charge to arrive at 0. I
> guess that is the reason TLEAP is not able to neutralize the decimal
> charge on my ligand.

Yes.

> You also commented that "If you don't want to neutralize it with an
> ion, I doubt it's a problem." >> Does this mean that I can simulate my
> GPCR-Ligand-Membrane system using an overall net charge of 0.970410,
> IS THIS ALLOWED, I MEAN, WILL THIS CHARGE NOT CREATE ANY ARTIFACTS
> DURING MD SIMULATION?

As a practical matter your biggest problem is probably not being able
to neutralize rather than the non-integrality of the charge. Maybe Dave
Case or Ross Walker can comment on the likely effects of running with a
positive charge; I don't have experience in this.

> If I have to neutralize this charge by making it an integer value of
> 1, how can I do that for my ligand which otherwise has a charge of
> 0.999960 ??

You could revisit the charge derivation process and see what went
wrong if anything. A simple hack would be to add .0001 to one atom,
or even better to divide this among the atoms. Probably leap should
be made to do this automatically for molecules that are within some
small factor of integrality.

Bill