AMBER: MPI is slower than single processor with water

From: Mike Summers <summers.hhmi.umbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:30:18 -0500

Protein MD and minimization calculations run much faster
with MPI than with a single processor, as expected,
EXCEPT when I include water (solvateoct with TIP3PBOX).
In this case, the calculations actually run a little
slower compared to using a single processor.

Is this a general problem when performing calculations
with many molecules, or have I misset (or have not used) a
necessary flag?

Mike

Michael F. Summers
  and Howard Hughes Medical Institute