Re: AMBER: simulating a small chain protein in water box

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.csb.sunysb.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 12:50:59 -0500

if you don't care about the initial structure then you
can afford to be less careful with equilibration.
I usually solvate in leap then minimize the whole thing, then
do MD without restraints. I find that heating from 0K can cause
trouble so I usually start it at around 200 and heat from there.

if you haven't done any explicit water simulations, pick one from
the tutorials and follow it so you are familiar with pressure
coupling, etc. Then do your own.

Be aware that getting the "right" structure in explicit water is
very challenging when you start from something far away.
Doing it in normal MD is almost impossible.
You might look at a recent article that I published in JMB
(as well as articles by others, of course)

**Wickstrom, L., Okur, A., Song, K., Hornak, V., Raleigh, D. and
Simmerling, C., /“The Unfolded State of the Villin Headpiece Helical
Subdomain: Computational Studies of the Role of Locally Stabilized
Structure”/, J. Mol. Biol., 360:1094-1107 (2006).

good luck!
carlos