RE: AMBER: Simulation a small chain of amino acids - error in MD simulation

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:32:27 -0800

Hi Sonya,

In your heat1.in change irest=1 to irest=0 and things should be fine. Also
set ntx=1 if you have it set to something else.

A restart file from a minimisation contains only coordinates since there are
no velocities. Whereas a restart file from MD also contains the velocities.
Thus the procedure you should typically use is:

Minimisation (set irest=0 and ntx=1)
First step of MD from minimised structure (set irest=0 and ntx=1) since this
is not a restart of a previous MD simulation - you just want the coordinates
from the minimisation. In this case the initial velocities (if tempi>0) will
be generated from a Gaussian distribution.
Second and subsequent MD's (set irest=1 and ntx=5). In this case both the
coordinates and velocities from the restart file will be read and the value
of tempi will be ignored.

All the best
Ross

/\