AMBER: ntt=1 in simulated annealing

From: Tanya Johannsen <tanyajohannsen.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 19:44:19 -0800 (PST)

Dear AMBER community:

  I am working on a simulated annealing run. My understanding was that ntt=1 is traditionally used for simulated annealing since it is possible to use the tautp parameter to induce slow and gradual temperature changes. However, I saw that in the AMBER 9 manual it says "Unless you are sure you know what you are doing, please don't use ntt=1!" If not using ntt=1, what is the best method to use in simulated annealing? My understanding is that ntt=3 leads to a relatively quick adjustment to the target temperature, so even if I included many small adjustments in TEMP0, I'm concerned that it would be impossible to create a smooth temperature curve. I would appreciate any advice on the best choice for "ntt" in simulated annealing runs.

  Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

  Tanya