Re: AMBER: ACML and MASS/MASSV for sander and pmemd

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:03:00 -0400

Hi Nick -
There are basically two reasons I have not used ACML:
1) until the introduction of generalized Born code to pmemd, there were no
code paths that were significantly impacted by math libraries - ie., math
libraries did not help much for pretty much all of the pme functionality. I
introduced generalized Born code pretty late in the last release cycle.
2) The ACML libraries have not had particularly high visibility on the
machines that I commonly use. They are probably there in some places like
NERSC, but folks have not been making a big deal about it. I actually got
the MASSV libs in for GB very very late (I had used MASSV before, but due to
changing optimizations in the pme direct force code, it was actually no
longer the fastest compile option for the sp4/5).
Especially if people using GB on opterons complain, I'll probably take an
afternoon off and do this for the next release. I don't recollect this
stuff being anywhere in the rest of amber 9, but maybe I missed it.
Regards - Bob Duke