Re: AMBER: 'lastrst' error for amber8

From: michael crowley <crowley.scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:14:08 -0700

Dear Arvind,
This is an unfortunately vague error message, and there is a way to fix
the code so that this failure does not occur, but I have been somewhat
reluctant to "fix" the problem since it usually indicates that there is
a problem with the system, not with the program.

Take a close look at your system and see if it is, in fact,
inhomogeneous. Does it have vacuous regions? Before looking, use ptraj
to image the solvent back into the primary unit cell.
Also look at the density reported by sander to determine if it is
reasonable (very near 1.0 for most solvated biomolecular systems).
If it is inhomogeneous, then please let me know if you want to run the
system this way. Normally people do not want vacuum bubbles in their
systems, an artifact of the setup procedure coupled with not
equilibrating at constant pressure long enough to reach a reasonable
density.

You can test that the problem is not with sander by running on one
processor. Your results from a few steps will look reasonable, at least
compared to the last frame of the runs you say are successful. On one
processor, the inhomogeneous problem does not stop the simulation.

If, in fact, your system is inhomogeneous, AND you do want to run that
way, I can help to modify sander to run for you on 8 processors.

Otherwise you will need to equilibrate to the correct density/volume
before running for multiple nanoseconds, and throw away the other results.

Best wishes
Mike