RE: AMBER: Periodic boundary condition (PBC) > Problem now with ptraj

From: Rahaman, Asif <asif-rahaman.uiowa.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:34:50 -0500

Dear Professor Cheatham,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I have done what you have suggested ( now the box looks OK) but still the structure of the system from .rst file and end of trajectory generated by ptraj is not the same.

You are right that topology file should have all the information. Let me explain a bit about setting up my system to resolve your confusion. I have created a crystal and put water molecule on top of it. Then I have set up periodic boundary condition. As Professor Case suggested in one of the comments in mailing list that I needed to change only the .crd file with correct box information. So I DID NOT change the TOPOLOGY file. Thus ptraj did not find that information when I ran.

Anyway, now that I have followed your suggestion I see the system initially OK but the end structure is still very much different from the structure that I get from the restart file. I out put my trajectory at every 100 steps and ran for 500000 steps. I do not know why the end structure from ptraj is different from the structure obtained from the .rst file. The structure from the .rst file looks reasonable; but the one at the end of ptraj is wired. (it messes up - waters come in side the crystal where as the structure obtained from .rst file with IWRAP = 1 option water stays either on top or bottom of the crystal - which is reasonable - I think).

Please let me know if you need additional information.
Thank you very much again for your kind reply.

With best regards, Asif