Re: AMBER: a question

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:21:34 -0400

There actually is a slight performance benefit (say if you were to make the
es cutoff 8 A and the vdw cutoff 9 A instead of making them both 9) and what
you get is numbers for vdw closer to 9 A cutoff numbers, about the same es
numbers, and a calculation time intermediate between the time for es/vdw
cuts of 8 vs. es/vdw cuts of 9 angstrom. PMEMD 9 is capable of doing this
with the new mdin cntrl keywords es_cutoff, vdw_cutoff. The performance
advantage is small enough I have not made a big deal about it, but do
document stuff in the amber 9 manual (your perspective here has to be that
you want better vdw numbers but want to slightly reduce the cost).
Regards - Bob Duke