Re: AMBER: Which one is the best force field for DNA?

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:31:24 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Vlad,

     I would tell that all available pair-additive force fields derived
     from Cornell et al have similar applicability and
     it is not straightforward to tell which of the variants
     is better. Our experience is that if one version works
     then the other works too, and vice versa.

     Molecular dynamics simulations of guanine quadruplex loops:
     Advances and force field limitations
     Fadrna E, Spackova N, Stefl R, Koca J, Cheatham TE, Sponer J
     BIOPHYS J 87, 227-242, 2004

     The main advantage of the AMBER force field is the use of
     ESP charges, thus it works excellently for stacking,
     H-bonding, including RNA interactions (RNA base pairs).
     Backbone is more difficult since it has complicated electronic
     structure and the charges not necessarily work in all
     its substates equally well, in addition it is a polarisable
     anion. We have recently completed a test (ca 3 microseconds
     in total) for a wide range of functional RNA molecules with
     difficult topologies and the results
     are quite optimistic. The results are summarized in
     some papers published recently or comming out right now.

     Of course, description of ions is less accurate especially
     for divalents (I would advice everyone to not include
     divalents unless really necessary based on very clear
     high resolution x-ray data).
     Caution is needed with chlorines, polarisable species
     difficult to treat with pair additive ff.

     But may be really Tom should comment on it.

     Jiri