RE: AMBER: installing amber7 on 64bit cluster

From: MURAT CETINKAYA <cetinkayam.psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:04:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

sorry for the lack of info :)

here is the specs:

1U Dual AMD Opteron™ 200 Series Processors (Single or Dual Core), up to 16GB
PC3200 DDR RAM, Four hot-swap SCSI Drives, one available PCI-X 64-bit/133Mhz or
one PCI-E x16 slot

I have the info for AMBER8 installation, but is there any documentation for
AMBER7?

thanks again

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:39:22 +0000, "Ross Walker" wrote:

> Dear Murat
>
> > I am trying to install amber7 to our linux-based cluster
> > (64bit) but after I
>
> You don't mention any details about your system, especially the make of cpu
> so I will assume it is an Itanium machine.
>
> > g77 -c -O3 -m486 -malign-double -ffast-math
> > -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-globals
> > -ff90 -funix-intrinsics-hide _new2oldparm_.f
> > `-m486' is deprecated. Use `-march=i486' or `-mcpu=i486' instead.
> > f771: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
> > f771: -malign-double makes no sense in the 64bit mode
> > make[1]: *** [new2oldparm.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/amber7/src/lib'
> > make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> The MACHINE file you have used is for ix86 machines, it is not for Itanium
> machines. Unfortunately itanium's were not around at the time amber7 was
> released so you will have to do some hacking of the MACHINE file to get
> things to work. I would start by removing all occurances of -m486 and
> -malign-double. Then try doing make clean and make again.
>
> Note, you may still get problems at the linking stage concerning certain
> libraries. This is especially true if you libraries are all in /usr/lib64
> instead of /usr/lib. You will have to check this out for yourself and edit
> the library paths in the MACHINE file as necessary.
>
> All the best
> Ross
>
> /\
> \/
> |\oss Walker
>
> | Department of Molecular Biology TPC15 |
> | The Scripps Research Institute |
> | Tel: +1 858 784 8889 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
> | http://www.rosswalker.co.uk | PGP Key available on request |
>
> Note: Electronic Mail is not secure, has no guarantee of delivery, may not
> be ready every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

Murat CETINKAYA
Biomolecular Materials Lab,
Dept. of Engr. Science and Mechanics,
The Pennsylvania State University,