Re: AMBER: MM_PBSA reproduction of literature values and accuracy

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.ilion.bio.sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:51:16 -0400

Karl,
I'm still not sure if you want a solvation free energy (corresponding to
moving the molecule from the gas phase into water), or an absolute
total free energy. total free energies aren't really meaningful, and the
zero
value for energy isn't defined in the force field (or at all). So, if
you want
a solvation free energy change, you need to define initial and final states
and then calcuate the free energy change between them. This means you
need deltaH and deltaS. It looks like you are using S, not deltaS. For
solvation
free energy, you need the solute deltaS, which is the solute entropy in
water
minus the entropy in the gas phase. I don't think you're calculating
both of those, and in fact doing that accurately is pretty challenging.
The nmode code can't even include "good" solvation in the entropy
calculation, just distance-dependent dielectric. The change in the entropy
of the water itself is (approximately) included in the GB/SA terms.

Let me know if this isn't what you are talking about.
Carlos

Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Phone: (631) 632-1336
Center for Structural Biology Fax: (631) 632-1555
Stony Brook University Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu/carlos
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115 E-mail: carlos.simmerling.stonybrook.edu