RE: AMBER: Problem with installing Amber8: Where are the MK libraries?

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:06:52 -0700

Hi Hayden

> Thanks very much for the advice. I've adopted your suggested
> .bashrc format and
> abandoned setting the MKL_HOME environment. However, when I
> now implement the
> "make serial" command, I get the following error message:

> ifort -c -w95 -tpp7 -mp1 -O0 -o new2oldparm.o _new2oldparm.f
> ifort: error: could not find directory in which g++ resides

This is very strange, I can't see why ifort would require g++. Amber
requires g++ itself as part of the build process but the error you are
getting here comes from ifort. This sounds to mike like a compiler bug.
Which version of ifort are you using?

Amazingly it would appear that ifort v8.1 depends upon g++ :'( ....

I found this on the intel developer forum...

http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=11&message.id=188
3

"Re: ifc 8.1: g++ error Options

 sblionel
Moderator
Member Since: 03-12-2002

Engineering is aware of this problem and is working on a solution. I would
advise anyone who runs into this to contact Intel Premier Support about it.
Steve "

So, it appears to be a bug with Intel's 8.1 compiler. Such bugs seem to be
becoming a regular occurance.... :'(

My advice to everybody trying to compile amber8 on intel architecture is for
the moment, to ignore ifort 8.1, and download ifort v 8.0.046 (Make sure
it is 8.0.046) from premier.intel.com.

Alternatively you could try some of the suggestions from the thread above
but you are likely to run into more problems...

All the best
Ross

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Department of Molecular Biology TPC15 |
| The Scripps Research Institute |
| Tel:- +1 858 784 8889 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
| http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/ | PGP Key available on request |