Re: AMBER: atoms out of bounds

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.ilion.bio.sunysb.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:17:15 -0400

Your system is nonperiodic. I think you're just seeing the problems that you
can have with this kind of method. if you know where the ion should be, you
might want to use restraints to keep it close to the protein. if you do
not know,
then maybe your initial guess was not good. equilibrating the positions
of ions
is not trivial, and doing it in a nonperiodic system can have problems
because
there is nothing to keep the ions close by the protein after it
disocciates the
first time (as you have found). I think that the approximations of using a
distance-dependent dielectric are large enough to make the use of explicit
ions pointless unless you know that a particular ion is needed in the
structure.

Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Phone: (631) 632-1336
Center for Structural Biology Fax: (631) 632-1555
Stony Brook University Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu/carlos
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115 E-mail: carlos.simmerling.stonybrook.edu