RE: AMBER: amber 8 under windows XP

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:03:54 -0700

Dear Adrian,

I have tried this with a few of the programs in the Amber suite, namely
ptraj and carnal and have got them to work by including the relevant cygwin
dll files in the same directory as the executable. This should in theory
work for any amber program that you managed to get running under cygwin. As
far as I know the only dll you need is the cygwin1.dll although there may be
more.

Alternatively you can compile static versions of the amber software using
Visual Studio.net and the intel fortran compilers for windows. I have this
working with Sander quite successfully. However, it is fairly tricky to get
to work as you need to go through and make sure every piece of Fortran 90
code ends in .f90 instead of .f. The Fortran 77 code needs to stay as .f.
You also need to work out what source files you need and the order they need
to be built. However, it is not impossible. The quickest method I found was
to run it all through the pre-processor on a linux box and then copy over
the _*.f files into a single visual studio project.

If you just want a quick solution though then including the cygwin1.dll file
with a cygwin executable is probably the best way to go.

I hope this helps.
All the best
Ross

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Department of Molecular Biology TPC15 |
| The Scripps Research Institute |
| Tel:- +1 858 784 8889 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
| http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/ | PGP Key available on request |