Re: AMBER: Preparing complex in Xleap for Amber calculations

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:39:27 -0800

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004, warka.il.waw.pl wrote:

> When I prepare the complex of protein with ligand the program Xleap add
> automatically the N and C terminal, and when I save topology and
> coordinate files the program writes me such command:
>
> Marking per-residue atom chain types.
> (Residues lacking connect0/connect1 -
> these don't have chain types marked:
>
> res total affected
>
> CVAL 1
> NMET 1

Above is normal.

> I don't know if it can cause any problems during calculations in Amber,
> because in topology file there are some strange words BLA in the start and
> the end point of the receptor, as you can see below:
>
> %FLAG TREE_CHAIN_CLASSIFICATION
> %FORMAT(20a4)
> BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA M
> E M E 3 E E B E E M E M E M E 3 E 3 E E
> E 3 E E 3 E E E M E M E M E 3 E E 3 E 3
> E E E 3 E E E M E M E M E 3 E E S E [...]
> BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA
> BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA M M 3 E E 3 E E 3 E E S E M M
> E E M E E M E E M E E M 3 E E B E E E M
> E 3 E E E M E E M M B E B E S B E B E S
> E M M M E

Above is also normal.

> I also have some problems with understanding the "tail" and "head" in Xleap
>
> Head atom: null
> Tail atom: .R<AM5 472>.A<C21 59>
>
> because the tail atom is here the atom of the ligand in complex ( protein
> -ligand).
> Is it correct?

You probably don't need to work about this. "head" and "tail" are only
used to join residues of a polymer together. Just be sure in your initial
pdb file to have a TER card between the protein and the ligand, so that leap
knows to create them as separate molecules.

....good luck...dac

David A. Case                     |  e-mail:      case.scripps.edu