Re: AMBER: Some questions in building a new residue

From: Chung-Chien Wei <hiro.tsailun.chem.ntnu.edu.tw>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 03:49:33 +0800

Dear Amber Community,

In Prof. Duan's work "A Point-Charge Force Field for Molecular Mechanics
Simulations of Protein Based on Condensed-Phase Quantum Mechanical
Calculations", on J. Comput. Chem., the section "Charge Derivation" wrote:

"Effective charges were obtained by fitting the electrostatic potential of
peptides, using RESP method. A two-stage fitting procedure was used.
(1)In the first stage of fitting, the two conformers (alpha & beta) of each
dipeptide (ex:Ace-Ala-Nme) were combined.
(2)In the second stage, the chemically equivalent atoms were set to hove the
same charges, while the charges of the terminal blocking groups and those of
heavy atoms were fixed. Because the charge-marching process may introduce
small errors, we purposely limited the errors to the matched atoms by fixing
the charges of the blocking groups and heavy atoms.
(3)Finally, the charges of the blocking group were fit by combining
electrostatic potentials of all amino acids."

Now I have some questions:
Question 1 is about step(1) that how to "combine" the two conformers ? (just
averaging phi & psi angles ?) Is it just to get single conformation ?
Question 2 is about step(3) that if you use dipeptide (Ace-Ala-Nme) to run,
how do you remove charge of Ace & Nme and retain the charge of Ala part zero
? (Because charge of Ala in AMBER library without Ace & Nme is zero, and not
close-shell.)

So I hope that someone can instruct me explicit steps for building a new
residue well.

Thank you a lot !

Gratefully,

Chung-Chien Wei