Re: AMBER: Simulation of small protein

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.csb.sunysb.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:59:58 -0400

Hi Robert,
I guessed it was villin since there aren't so many 36 residue proteins.
It is fairly compact so I am not sure why your RMSD goes
up so fast, is it well equilibrated? equilibration in GB can be
hard since there isn't anything to damp out initial fluctuations.
I'm not too familiar with villin though, maybe Yong Duan can comment?
The SA term may do the same, just damp out any initial poor contacts
etc.

As to the best force field to use, I am not sure on that either. Parm99
and even 94 (though less so) seem to be significantly overstabilizing alpha
conformations bu since villin is helical maybe that's actually better for
getting it to fold-again maybe Yong can comment on that. For real
dynamics I would expect it to be too helical, although helix extension may
be something to look for in your RMSD increase.

Try frequency filtering in mddisplay, it can help a lot with reducing the
wiggles.
Carlos