Re: AMBER: tru64 alpha

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:41:57 -0400

Mu -
I guess I missed the fact that your first email actually had a reference to a pmemd allocation routine in it. SO, it is possible that Bill Ross' comments about ulimit are appropriate, but I don't know what the default for that would be (type ulimit and see what it says; if it is not huge or unlimited, read the man pages and bump up allowed memory). I have not tried using prun at PSC, but instead use qsub (parallel queues submission). Lemieux is an ES45 alphaserver; I don't know what an SC45 is, but I don't have a world of experience on the alphaservers (wish I had one, believe me). With alphaservers that are essentially smp's with large shared memories, there can be problems with running out of memory if you run a really large problem on a large number of processors. Thus, I know I have run a 91K atom problem on 24 processors on salk at psc, but I think I failed to get it to run on 32 processors, and I think it has something to do with the shared memory (I perused man pages and never actually found an option for specifying memory usage in the executable). I don't know if this had anything to do with other things running on the smp. I would try running on 8 processors or so first, and then scaling up, just in case it is something like this (I have seen this on the Cray T3E at PSC and on salk, but nowhere else). In general, you should hit this problem later with pmemd than you do with sander or sander7, since pmemd actually uses only a fraction of the memory used by the sanders (through pairlist compression, among other things). Let me know if it works or fails again.
Regards - Bob