School Amber Study

From: Treakle, Kirk <Kirk.Treakle.fcps.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:00:33 -0400

Hi!
        A teacher at my school has discovered a large golden-yellow colored mass. We are trying to find the identity of it. It was found in the woods and appears to have been in a large round container because it has a cylindrical shape. My fellow classmates and I have been doing some tests on it and hypothesize that it is Amber. However we would like to get another opinion. This is the data we have collected so far.
Density- 1 g/cm cubed
No Streak
Crystals look cubic under microscope (?)
Base Test (1 Molar of NaOH) Nothing happened
Acid Test (1 Molar of HCl) Nothing Happened
Flame Test- the flame was an orange color and burned in a similar manner to sugar.

If you would please respond with your thoughts they would be greatly appreciated. If you would be willing to help us identify it, we are will send you a small piece to conduct tests on. Please write back with the address we should send it to and the size of the piece you would like, and how you will be testing it. The school year is coming to a close so please write back as soon as you have a chance.

Thanks,
Liz