a perl question for Hbond occupancies analysis

From: Vlad Cojocaru <Vlad.Cojocaru.mpi-bpc.mpg.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:43:30 +0100

Dear Fellow ambers,
    I know that my question maybe is not related to this list but still
I think somebody could help me.
    So I have a .tab file from the HBOND in Carnal.
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 .........0 (something like 600 columns)

I am using perl for trying to further analyse this file.
Does anyone know how to store each column of the .tab file into a perl
variable so that i can extract afterwords according to the number of the
hydrogen bond to which it belongs?
In other words I am trying to have variables $1, $2, $3, $4....$600 for
each column.
I know that awk could do that easily but I dont think it can handle that
many columns.
I would appreciate any help
Best regards,
vlad