Re: How to calculate new force field?

From: Jose Ramon Blas <jramon_at_ub222059.pcb.ub.es>
Date: Mon 3 Feb 2003 11:06:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I propose three ways of doing this:

i) web-searching. Maybe your molecule has been parametrized by someone
before (surprises exist!). Look at http://pharmacy.man.ac.uk/amber/

ii)if your molecule is not too strange, what I propose is to assign to
all the atoms in your system an existing atom_type of amber parm99.dat force
field (BE VERY CAREFUL ON THIS!! this is a parametrization) and check that
all the bonds, angles, torsions exist in the parm99.dat file. If there are
missing terms you can take them from similar ones in parm99.dat.

iii) try antechamber and GAFF (see instructions in AMBER7 home page, it is
very easy and fast). Remember, however, to check if you agree with
antechamber in the atom_types assignment to your particular system.

Hope this helps,

Jose Ramon

Jose R. Blas
Molecular Modelling & Bioinformatics e-mail: jramon_at_mmb.pcb.ub.es
IRBB, Parc Cientific de Barcelona phone: + 34 93 403 71 55
C/Josep Samitier 1-5,
08028 Barcelona