Re: SUMMARY: solvating a protein with large cavity

From: Richard Henchman <rhenchma_at_mccammon.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed 18 Dec 2002 11:56:20 -0800

Concerning other ways to solvate a protein, I've found that using GRID
is quite a good way. It essentially docks water molecules into the
protein. You need to a license, free for academics.

http://www.moldiscovery.com/manual/index.html

In summary, you run
1. GRIN to setup the system (via GREAT)
2. GRID to create the grid for water probe (via GREAT)
3. MINIM to find the minima in the grid
4. FILMAP to add waters to the grid

The only really important parameter in the method is the minimum
energy depth to define a minima (set in step 3). The version GRID 20
has a GUI called "Greater" but I've found the simpler GREAT to be
sufficient. It takes only about 5 minutes when you know what
you're doing (step 2 is the slowest and scales with protein size).

GRID only gives oxygen positions (at least, the way I was doing
it). If you really want nicely placed waters, then I use WHATIF to
place hydrogens on these waters to give the water the most favorable
orientation for hydrogen bonding. This is probably not critical
since waters can usually reorient on a fairly fast time scale.

Afterwards I run solvatebox in leap in the normal way to complete
solvation.

Richard

Tom Bishop's message on Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:03:27AM -0600 was: