Re: about dummy parameter of multiplicity

From: David A. Case <case_at_scripps.edu>
Date: Thu 10 Oct 2002 11:37:40 -0700

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002, sxzheng wrote:

> I have a organic molecule to be perturbed.
> I have completed the process:saveamberparm. When I use
> "saveamberparmpert",there is many proper torsion parameters missed.I feel
> something confused as followed:
>
> ***Proper torsion parameers missing ***
> atom names:C12-C11-C10-C13
> atom types: c3-c3-c3-c2 =pert=> c3-c3-c3-c3
> Please add a dummy parameter of multiplicity 1
> for the no-pert types to your parameter set.
> -e.g. c3-c3-c3-c2 1 0.0 0. 1.
>
> At the same time ,it also advises to add a dummy parameter of multiplicity 2
> as:
> atom names:C12-C11-C10-C13
> atom types: c3-c3-c3-c2 =pert=> c3-c3-c3-c3
> Please add a dummy parameter of multiplicity 2
> for the no-pert types to your parameter set.
> -e.g. c3-c3-c3-c2 1 0.0 0. 2.
>
> While I think the PN parameter of torsion x -c3-c3-x should be 3.
> So why it advise 1 and 2 for PN that is conflictory and why it is not 3.
> further,why it's dummy parameter and what's the effection of the system.

You should read the original force field papers (say Cornell et al., and the
Weiner et al 1984 paper) for a discussion of rationales for having more
than just 3-fold torsions for things like x-c3-c3-x.

The amber program requires the same sets of torsions for non-perturbed and
perturbed. LEaP is just asking you to add a "dummy" (i.e. one with zero
force constant, and hence no effect) to satisfy that requirement. LEaP
does not just "do this automatically", since such a mismatch is often a sign
of some error, and thus wants to be sure this is what you really want to do.

..good luck...dac

David A. Case                     |  e-mail:      case_at_scripps.edu