Re: look for benchmark with myrinet vs. 100-BT

From: C. Klein <cklein_at_pharma.anbi.ethz.ch>
Date: Sun 04 Aug 2002 10:21:29 +0200

Hello,

this is not 100% related to your question, but may be of interest:

I have very recently constructed a test cluster with gigabit ethernet
(copper) cards. My first impression is that the performance increase
(compared to 100MB ethernet) is rather small. This may be due to
non-optimized network settings, but the first - and second - experiences
do not make me enthusiastic. Myrinet will probably give you better
results (for a higher price). I believe that gigabit ethernet is limited
because it contains many "standards" that have been carried over from
the 10MB ethernet era, like small packet sizes, etc.

Best regards,

Chris