Carnal coordinate averaging

From: Michael G Cooney <chemgc_at_panther.Gsu.EDU>
Date: Mon 25 Feb 2002 17:01:26 -0500 (EST)

Dear Amber users,

In Amber 5, when I try to create a coordinate-averaged PDB file for all or
part of an MD simulation, I get a structure with bond lengths that are
obviously wrong, causing rasmol or Insight to draw bonds between nonbonded
atoms. Parts of the structure (a DNA duplex solvated with a water box and
cations) are distorted. Here is a sample carnal input file:

FILES_IN
  PARM p1 ../firstmdrun.top;
  STREAM s1 ctr_last_5ns.mdcrd.gz; ! ptraj-processed crd file
FILES_OUT
  COORD c1 prodmd5to10ns_avg.pdb PDB;
DECLARE
OUTPUT
  COORD c1 s1 ATOM 656 AVERAGE; ! output only the DNA, no water/cio.
END

I realize that carnal is averaging the waters as well, and tried to
declare a group consisting of only the solute to avoid this, but the
program seemed not to recognize the declaration.

Is there a more recent version of carnal, analogous to the new ptraj
(6.3), that would work better for averaging?

Thanks very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Michael G. Cooney
Postdoctoral Research Associate