Re: Velocity information in CARNAL generated restart files

From: Bill Ross <ross_at_cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Tue 25 Sep 2001 12:32:51 -0700 (PDT)

        I succesfully obtain a restart file, "restart.1". However, when I
        compare this to the SANDER-generated restart file, there is a line
        missing at the end of the CARNAL-generated file, and this contains the
        velocity and box information. All other features appear to be consistent between both files.

Carnal cannot output velocities (1 3-D vector per atom) in a
restrt file. If you have an mdvel, possibly you could treat
it as an mdcrd and have carnal convert to a velocity-only
restrt, which could be manually combined with a 'real' restrt
to produce a restrt-with-velocities.

If there is a box in the mdcrd, and if the prmtop specifies a
box (ifbox>0), then Carnal should put the box info after the
coordinates in the restrt file. If you

% tail mdcrd_file

you should see the box info at the end. See

  http://amber.ch.ic.ac.uk/formats.html

for how to check ifbox in the prmtop. Possibly carnal only
outputs x,y,z of the box, without some angles that sander
outputs?

Bill Ross