Constant Pressure vs. Constant Volume

From: Troy Bothwell <tbothwe1_at_bigred.unl.edu>
Date: Tue 16 Jan 2001 13:28:04 -0800

Hello all,

I am a little curious as to which type of periodic simulation is preferred;
constand pressure or constant volume? In the amber6 manual they state that
this is a matter of preference, however, it seems that whenever I use
constant volume, my water box "floats" away. It is as though the density of
the system slowly decreases as the waters move further away from the solute.
I perform minimization and constant pressure equilibration to get a good
starting structure and density before running the production.

Most of the information I've read, including the online DNA tutorial on the
amber web site, uses constant pressure. Do you have any input for me?

Thanks,

Troy